Wednesday 19 August 2009

Great Idea. Poor Execution.

When I came across the news that Championship Manager 2010 was available as a digital download where users could pay what they want and get it for as little as 10p I couldnt wait to get online and grab my copy. I rushed to my computer, straight to the championship manager website and followed the link to the download. Luckily, the page I was directed to contained a video telling me a bit more about the pay what you want scheme. Underneath the video, I was met with a large number of comments stating just how bad the process was for purchasing the game. Users were complaining that they had been charged either twice, three times or four times for the digital download due for release on September 10th. People were angry and it was easy to understand why. After reading the comments there was no way I was about to enter my card details to get charged several times.



The idea of allowing people to pay what they want for digital goods was promoted by the band, Radiohead who let fans choose what they paid for their 'Rainbows' album in 2008. That proved to be a huge success with Radiohead consequently delivering their music on a sell-out tour. My problem with the championship manager version is their poor execution. When the shop went live on 18 August, the process should have been perfect, but instead there were major problems that was making people think twice about purchasing the game.

For me, Championship Manager has always been miles behind the other management simulator game, Football Manager but this was an opportunity to get the game on people's computers and experience its latest overhauled game engine. Instead, its just got fans angry and has confirmed my views on Football Manager's superiority.

The key point to take from this is the importance of a smooth execution. Having a great idea that will get people talking about your brand is one thing but delivering it simply and effectively is vital to the brands' reputation and long term success.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think it was right for this kind of a product - to allow consumers to purchase a videogame at their will. It is just aproduct that anyone will pay cheaply as possible. There is less alignment or loyalty to a computer game tha to a band I think. Plus the culture of the music industry surrounding downloading is as such that giving away, or letting consumers charge their own price, is something of a good exercise.

    Not for videogames.

    Also Artic Monkeys are selling their new single at Oxfam - all the proceedings of which will go to Oxfam

    ReplyDelete