Monday 17 August 2009

Unbranded Search

I came across this site courtesy of @MisEntropy which allows you to make web searches without the brand of the site being shown. It is then up to you to choose which set of search results are most relevant to you. For some reason, I thought I would pick Bing results the most as I thought the test would show me how much the Google brand was involved in the process of using a search engine.

I carried out the test 5 times just to see who might win. The search terms I used were simple and common phrases with one being a little more uncommon. Obviously, the most relevant results are subjective to my own preferences but to try and be consistent I deemed the most relevant results as the set which included the most relevant website in the first position. Below are the search terms and the most relevant search engine.

Things to do in Portsmouth - Bing
Fifa 2010 - Google
Nike+ Running Shoe - Google
1/4 inch torque socket set - Bing
iPhone good apps - Google

None of the yahoo results were up to the standard of the other two engine results. Doesn't prove much but it was interesting to see how I would view results without the Google brand glaring back at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment